7.24.2009

A hint for a Christmas somewhere in the future

This is a book I am really looking forwards to, even if it will actually be titled The Big Boring Book of Aesthetics, or: How Poetics got to Now from Then

Robert Archambeau is a brilliant narrator, and a fantastic teacher. He has a way of sort of casually untangle the most complicated concepts in literature and doing it in such a way that the student, or reader, feels that 'of course, I actually knew that to begin with, I just didn't know I knew'. He’s funny and serious at the same time and still, years and years after I left his classroom, I learn things from his lessons, find little nuggets of gold in the notes that I don’t remember writing and find inspiration in thinking back on how he teaches.

So if I do survive the curse for a yet a few more Christmases, and you find yourself wondering what to give me, you may want to go looking for this book. I’ll be very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment