7.06.2009

A clear mind in the night


I have always functioned better in the night than I do in the day. I'm nicer, I think better, I communicate better, I learn better, I teach better, I do everything better in the wee hours, when the world's asleep. During the years I have thought of many reasons for this: nights are calmer, phones are quiet, neighbours sleep, those few of us awake have time to finish our streams of thoughts and conversations since nobody else claims our attention. Darkness is peaceful and undemanding, unlike daylight that keeps nagging you for action and energy.

Now I am informed that there is one more reason: cold air, it seems, contains more oxygen per cubic measure than warm. Thus, every breath we take during the night contains more oxygen than the breaths we take during the day.

So there's a biological explanation to why I function better at night as well. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment