6.22.2009

A dinner party

When I invite people over for dinner I do it because I wish to spend an evening with those people. Because they are nice, and I enjoy sharing my meal with nice people. Simple as that. If some of the guests have allergies, are vegetarians or vegans or for cultural reasons avoid some food I try my best to cook something that everybody can eat, or make a buffet where there’s something for everybody. It’s no trouble, it’s part of the pleasure.

Others see it differently. I called somebody just a few minutes ago to inform the cooking person about that a few of us are vegetarians. Turns out this is very rude, we’re causing the cook all sorts of trouble with this. The special meal that was planned, the fantastic meat and the sauce to go with it, are we really rejecting that?

Well, yes, when you put it like that I guess we are. Sorry. We can bring food for ourselves, if you like. Or would you rather we didn’t come this time?

*deep sigh* nonono, I’ll manage. I don’t really know anything about vegetarian food but… *one more deep sigh*

I feel so welcome to this dinner party now (<--- well hidden sarcasm)

No comments:

Post a Comment